Attorney Available to Address Everyday Legal Questions
San Diego-based attorney Jeff Isaac fields a litany of “real world” legal questions from John Q. Public on a daily basis – situations most individuals want and need to know about but seldom seek formal legal counsel on. Accordingly, please consider offering your audience a quick Q&A style roundup imparting Isaac’s expert perspective both on personal legal issues and those current events in law that affect society at large on a day-to-day basis.
Here’s a small sampling of questions Isaac has fielded that might be suitable for such a feature, although he is more than happy to address questions submitted by your specific audience:
- I received a traffic ticket when I was on vacation in a state I don’t live in. Will it affect my driver's license or record in my home state?
- My 15-year-old son signed a contract for cell phone service without my knowing. He contracted to pay almost $30 per month for an entire year. He isn't paying (or using the phone) and the cell phone company keeps calling me to demand payment. What should I do?
- I just found out from a friend that an individual was bad mouthing me. I am a professional, and the person was telling lies about me, which can cost me my reputation. What can I do?
- I let my neighbor borrow my car to go to the store. He was stopped for speeding, and without my knowledge he did not have a license. The police have impounded my car. Can they do that?
- My company has forced us to work less than 40 hours per week to save the company money, can they legally do that?
- Many night clubs have what’s called a “Ladies Night” when women don’t pay a cover charge but men do. Is this legal?
- My son is 14-years old, and was caught putting graffiti on school property. The school has asked me to pay for the cleanup. Do I have to pay?
- I had a credit card debt of $4,000 dollars, and never heard from the credit card company for 4 ½ years. Recently I received a letter indicating that a collection company is trying to collect the $4,000 plus $2,000 interest. Can they do that?
- I bought a portrait program for my new baby from a salesman who came to my house. The total cost was $500. I now want to cancel it. Do I have 3 days to cancel, or am I stuck?
- I have lived with my boyfriend for 10-years. We have a house and a business but they are both in my name only. Does my boyfriend have any rights to the house and the business should we separate?
- I recently received a traffic ticket and didn’t show up to court. I received a notice about 2 weeks later that I was in contempt of court. What is that, and am I in trouble?
- My coworker was recently fired for sending pornographic email messages to women in the office using the company's email system. Now the company says that it's going to monitor all employee email messages. Can they do this?
- I have a babysitter for my kids and found that her boyfriend has been bring over illegal drugs to our house when I am gone. Evidently they are selling them to their friends from my house. The landlord has filed an eviction notice against me. Can he do that?
- My son has a school conference and I need to take two hours off of work. My employer told me that I will lose my job if I go. Is this legal?